Thursday, January 14, 2010

verbal/external processor!

I have a tendency to talk like I think. We may all do that. But what I mean is that I am virtually incapable of speaking straight to the point. I tend to talk a lot around the main point of what I am trying to say, eventually getting closer to what I am really meaning to say. Sometimes I am not even sure what it is I'm trying to say, but the person I'm talking to has a way of stating the exact thought or feeling I'm attempting to share that just brings it clearly into the light! I use a lot of words, but it's usually so simple.

I think the reason is that when I talk or learn something, I tend to want to know the what, followed by the why, an explanation for whatever I've been told. Plus I like to be prepared and knowledgeable in case when I relay that information to another, I am ready to answer any questions asked of me. (Like what I have to do for my job, not in the sense of spreading gossip.)

The reason I bring this up is I'm noticing it is sort of a bit of a dilemma. I talk to people on the phone all day, answering their questions. It's one thing to give them a correct answer, it is another to understand WHY things are the way they are and I just have a hard time articulating a clear, concise response when a someone asks WHY such and such has happened.

Oh well, I am aware, I will continue to try to work on it, I don't know if it is possible to change the way I think....but I'll try to learn to communicate more efficiently!! Sometimes I think I just need to slow down, think before I speak - I'm definitely a verbal/external processor!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...